We came across an excellent resource developed by the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario called “Primarily Play: Engaging Primary Learners through Play.” The resource includes varied and practical information for teachers about the important role play has in the primary classroom. We know of a number of districts in BC where primary teachers are using the document to engage with and stimulate discussion about learning based play.
- Why children need to play in school
- Connections between play and curriculum
- Planning and decision-making related to play, and
- Bringing play from practice into policy.
The resource includes:
- Research from the field about the benefits of play-based learning
- Scenarios to illustrate important ideas
- Questions to think about practice, and
- Personal reflection about the children you teach each day.
Whether you’re a new or an experienced teacher, Primarily Play: Engaging Primary Learners through Play will stimulate discussions to support play-based learning in the 21st century.
Cost: $20.00 plus tax and shipping.
To order the Primarily Play document visit: http://www.etfo.ca/shopETFO/Documents/PrimarilyPlay.pdf or call toll free at 1-888-838-3836.